Wednesday, May 17, 2006

20 years's of skill...not really


So there it is.  I'm pleased with it...not 100% pleased with it--more like 95%.  And it's already on its way to make a newborn little girl very happy (I hope)!

I realized that though I've been crocheting for over 20 years, I really do not have the skills of one who has been crocheting for over 20 years. I have the mileage but like I say in the bio on the sidebar, I'm in a rut because until recently, I didn't do anything more than the basics (i.e., double-crochet).  I didn't have a good mentor or the resources to improve myself.  My mother taught me those basics, which I later found out she (and I) had been doing wrong...or at least doing differently from the norm.  She didn't teach me much more than that because she didn't know it to teach me...and she didn't have the patience or desire to, really.  Crochet to her wasn't a passion: it was more of a way to whittle away time during summer vacations in the middle of nowhere.

As for improving myself on my own...well, the resources were probably there, and I never looked for them. So that part is my own fault.

No matter:  she did get me started with crochet all those years ago, and for that I am greatful.  And I am doing a wonderful job of teaching myself all sorts of new things to be done with a hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment