Tuesday, December 30, 2008

O_o

On one of the crochet Yahoo groups I'm a member of, there's a bit of an uproar over the term "faggot stitch."

I really can't see what the problem is since:
    a. it's a valid crochet (and knitting) stitch pattern
    b. it's been around for over a century
    and
    c. there was no malicious intent by the poster. They were asking about the stitch, not using it to jab someone on their sexual preference. Neverminding that the term "faggot" originally has non-derogatory meanings in various languages. For example, in England, a faggot is a bundle of sticks.
But as someone once said, you can never underestimate the desire that some people have to be offended.

Anyhow, the list moderators sprang to life (now where were they when the spammer was running loose, I don't know), issued their warnings/reminders of how to behave, and now there's another uproar, this time because of all the people who keep posting "OK, can we please move on?" messages.

Every time I think I've found an internet community that has the most drama, I come across another one that tops it. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment