Sunday, February 8, 2009

I think I'm starting to become a fiber snob

I had this insight when I was entering my son's hat into Ravelry, when it pulled Universal's Classic Worsted Impressions as being an acrylic/wool mix. So I grab the yarn label and find--to my surprise--that it's 80% acrylic and 20% wool. I was actually hit with a wave of nausea. I had truly believed I was knitting with pure wool. I bought it at The Knitting Corner, it looked and felt like the real thing...I believed it so much so that I was giving it the full wool treatment (i.e., keeping it stored in Ziploc bags).

In hindsight though...I guess $6 a ball was a little low to pay for LYS superwash wool, which is what I thought it was.

That doesn't mean I'm displeased with the yarn or the hat though...I'm just not excited about the yarn as I was before.

Anyhow, above is the son's hat made from the *yarn*. I used the hat pattern in Ann Budd's Book of Knitting Patterns. I'm not wild about the top of the hat though--I'd prefer a smoother, more skullcap like decrease, like the ones in the other hats I made. Still, it'll keep that little head of his warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment