Thursday, February 19, 2009

Some FOs

I'm finding it ironic that this is the worst semester of school yet (and fortunately the last!) and yet I am knitting or crocheting even more than usual. The first semester of school I barely touched yarn, except to move it from Point A to Point B, or knit a washcloth while on the treadmill. I guess more than ever, I need the stress release that knitting brings me and the challenge of doing something more than the routine projects...though Lord knows how I'm finding the time to do it and keep the grades up! Anyhow...

First is the baby hat that I've made as a shower present for my mom...no, she's not pregnant--that would be nearly impossible given she's in her 60s. She's giving it as a gift. I have to say that Bernat baby yarns are very nice to work with, even though they're synthetics. They're soft, pretty, work up well and last a long time through repeated washings. I almost bought some more of the Jacquard in a speckled colorway for a baby blanket for another baby...but what put me off was the experience I had with a similar yarn: Red Heart Fiesta.

I'm still working on the booties...and I have discovered that knitting two socks at the same time is a very tough lesson in patience. Hopefully the outcome will make it worth trying to knit two adult socks at once.

Over here, we have the first of the 101 washcloths. It's cute--the pattern came from a Sugar 'n' Cream ball-band. I decided that it's going to be too much to find or create 101 separate patterns for this, especially since I'm planning to give away some of these cloths as gifts--and I'd like to do matched sets for those. But I'm definitely going to be doing more than diagonal squares. I'm also not going to put them all on Ravelry--just the ones I really like.

I started the second one--the pattern is called "Shapely Diamond" and it's in hunter green. I have a sinking suspicion that the yarn will bleed the second it hits water, so I'll have to look up how to stop that from happening. I think soaking the cloth in vinegar first will set it...but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment