Friday, April 17, 2009

Spring has sprung

So I get my life back (i.e., graduate from nursing school) in 28 days. However, I found myself with an urge to start something new with yarn before then. The Yarn Harlot was right: Spring does bring about visits from Startitis...however, I don't have a grey cardigan waiting around to be completed.

A toddler who wants his own blanket plus 15 skeins of blue heather Wool-Ease equals this:


Basic granny squares that are joined as I go. Simple, plain, quick to crochet, good...and should make a big dent in my Wool-Ease supply. Plus the son approves of it.

I've also discovered the wonder that is the short-row heel sock.

These are a joy to work! They're much easier than heel flaps (no picking up stitches at the gusset), they fit better, and they keep the pattern of the yarn all pretty. There are a couple of holes where I first began the heel...I don't know if that's a design feature or an error on my part, but I'll stitch them up once I finish the sock. I'll have to see if I have the same problem on the other sock.

There is also a Pi Are Square shawl on the needles in Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool (the brown color), but I don't have a photo of that handy. I just started it anyway so there's not too much to photograph yet.

Of course, the fact that I'm still in school and not yarning around much hasn't stopped me from purchasing new yarn. With the rash of sales going on around the local craft stores, I've stocked up on Moda Dea Washable Wool (blue: sweater for the son), Kroy sock yarn (for me), and Paton's Merino Wool (don't know what I'll do with it and who cares!).

No comments:

Post a Comment