Saturday, November 13, 2010

Changes or why am I really here?

I missed blogging. But as you can see, I had abandoned this place for several months. Lately, I've been wanting to get back into the swing of things and write again. At first, I decided to start over with a new blog, mostly because I wanted to make a fresh start of things.

Then I decided to have long think about why I'm even blogging in the first place. Am I really doing it for myself? For the attention? Because it's trendy? To have a place to post about my yarn crafts? Or is it that deep down, do I want to try become one of the next knitterati, another celebrity in the knitting world?

Serious questions. With serious answers that I came to after many days of thinking.

I like having my own little space on the web that is all about me and my yarn work. I like to be able to track how far I've come in my progress as a knitter and a crocheter. I like to be able to see how my attitudes and opinions have changed over the years. I also like having a record of projects that I've worked on, so I can go back and say, "wow, what the hell was I thinking when I cast on that?"

I decided that I like posting about my knitting and crochet to an audience that is possibly interested in it. I don't know a lot of people IRL who knit. The ones that do, of course we talk each other's ears off. But many of my non-knitting friends and family are either not interested in it, or are hypercritical, or are placing an order for the item that they want me to drop everything else in order to maker it for them. It would be nice to expand my circle of yarn-working friends so we can swap tales and draw from each other's experiences and talents. Blogs are also better ways to make connections, since trying to make friends on some of these mailing lists is impossible. They're either ridiculously large, full of flamers or overmoderated by listmoms (God, I hate that term. Unless you gave birth to Yahoo, you're the list moderator, not its mother) to within an inch of their life.

In all honestly, I don't think I'd want to be one of those uber-popular knitter-bloggers. I'd have so much pressure to perform or else. Nor do I really want to be an internet celebrity. I already have one claim to fame in the internet world and because of it I found that I value a certain degree of privacy.

In the end, I decided that this blog has got to be for me first and foremost. Still, I wanted some change to mark the new beginning, so I gave it a shiny new name. Whee!

What have I been doing since my last post in March? Work, school and family problems make up the bulk of it.

The Knit From My Stash challenge died a quick death after 120 days. I did cull out quite a bit of the herd that I'll never use and I did accomplish some stash knitting. However, I decided that life is too short for me to forego buying new yarn. So I threw in the skein. The tally pages are gone...I'm not sure how many miles of yarn I have now and honestly, I'm not sure I want to know.

I did resolve to be somewhat more judicious in my yarn purchases though, because my office is starting to look like a yarn dungeon.

I'm currently working on a scarf that I'm going to give a coworker as a retirement gift. It's in sock yarn (I think it's Knit One Purl Too) in the teal/purple colorway. It's a simple 2x2 rib using big needles so the fabric is nice and loose, yet the rib helps it keep its shape. I had wanted to make a lace shawl, but I learned two things. First, I'm not very good at lace. Second, I didn't have enough yarn to make a lace shawl.


 I went with sock yarn because I didn't want the recipient to have to worry about care. It still has a long way to be knit...I hope it looks a lot less sloppy after it's washed and blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment