Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Learning Continental

I have a day off today, so after I slept in (5:50am!), I dropped Dale off at school and went back to bed.  As tempting as it was to let us both sleep longer, I knew I needed him to be at summer school.  His first day went very well.  It's a class of four students so I know he will thrive better than he did during the school year in a class of 20.  They're going to be working on basic academics as well as socialization and coping skills.

The day started off with heavy rain but has given way to party cloudy and humid, so I see little reason for me to do anything...which is what I planned to do today.  You see, today I had a choice of doing things I had to do, such as a few house chores and errands, or doing things I wanted to do, which is relax and be lazy.  I chose what I wanted to do over what I had to do, and I don't regret it...at least not today, anyway.

I wouldn't mind the heat so much here if it wasn't so damn humid.  Dry heat, I can live with.  Right now it's only in the low 90s but the humidity makes it feel like I'm wading through soup.  When we lived in Southern Texas, temperatures started breaking 100 in May and would keep doing so until September, and it was more bearable because it was a drier heat.  You also learned very fast not to be outside between 9am and 5pm if you could possibly help it.  Surprisingly, I did some of my best knitting and crochet during those summer months.

So I think I need to learn Continental knitting.  It doesn't seem like I get all the time I want to knit so I need to make the most of the time I do get.  One way to do that is to find a faster way to knit, and everyone and their cat swears that Continental is the way to do this.

How did I learn how to knit in the first place?  Self-taught via book, specifically Knitting for Dummies.  It wasn't until several months in that I met a knitting friend who helped me perfect my beginning practice.  But I am a book-taught knitter, so I'm digging out my Dummies book again as a starting point for learning Continental.  I was going to practice by working on a washcloth, but I found a couple of odd skeins of Paton's Merino in the stash and I decided to work on a large coaster mat for my desk.  Something that can absorb the heat of the coffee cup in the mornings and the condensation from the cold drinks the rest of the day.

I'm told that KnitPicks has some good How-To videos on Continental that I can look up.  I'm also told that YouTube has them too...but the problem with YouTube is that I inevitably get sucked in on a random video clip voyage.  You know how it happens with Wikipedia, right?  You start looking up the answer to a question, click on a link and the next thing you know, it's an hour later and you've trolled through 39 different topics.  Well, I have that happen to me with YouTube, so I don't go near that site unless I'm prepared to kill an hour.

I also have a copy of the book The Principles of Knitting...don't ask me what it cost.  Just know that it was a birthday gift to myself, and I already threatened every family member including the animals stating that it they harmed it I would haunt them forever.  I think I'll also look in there for help learning Continental.

1 comment:

  1. I learned to knit continental from the Vogue Knitting book, but I'm not sure it's really that much faster. It's good to know how to do both though, especially if you want to do color work. I like knitting continental because it's less motion (this is especially helpful on crowded airplanes, when you don't want to elbow and annoy your seat mate).
    I hope your son likes summer school. My son's special needs preschool runs intermittently through the summer, and he does really well with it (most of the time).

    ReplyDelete