Sunday, June 26, 2011

Move stuff

Several bags of stuff have been dropped off at Goodwill, and two new bags full of stuff rest on the landing.  I'm trying to get into the habit of attacking an area of the house at a time to see what stuff can be trashed and what stuff can be donated.  I'm still holding off on donating Dale's old baby clothes and supplies.  To be honest, I 'm still torn about whether to have a second child.  I would like for Dale to have a sibling and I think Dale would love it too.   At the same time Dale is such a handful in himself that I worry if a second child will take away from Dale's needs.   So I decided to adopt the attitude of "if it will happen, it will happen."  Which given my age and health history, may not happen that easily.

Where I live is so hot right now that I no longer have a blanket on the bed.  I make the bed with a fitted sheet and a flat sheet and that's it.  Most nights I just lay on top of the sheets.  The way the house is designed, cranking up the AC to high won't get my bedroom cool enough, so I just set it to a moderate temperature so Dale doesn't freeze in his room.  Then I keep my ceiling fan on high and bring a glass of ice water with me to bed.  People keep telling me that San Diego has perfect weather.  The way this summer is going so far--and summer just started!--I can really use some perfect weather.

So we went ahead and applied for a mortgage.  With all of our pets, we realized that we may have better luck buying a house than renting one.  Plus, my better half keeps mentioning that it might be 3+ years out there, or that his follow-on tour might be out there...so why not just jump and do it?  He's getting paid well, I make a decent income and we'll rent our current house out so it is doable.  To be honest, it's kind of exciting to be looking at buying a new house...I still wish I didn't have to move though.

I told our relocation coordinator (the benefits of a military move) about Dale's special ed needs.  She's going to focus on finding areas with the best schools for him.  To be honest, his school is our priority; if we have to drive a bit or compromise on the house, so be it.

Dale is having a hard time lately.  His childcare changed to a summer camp program for the summer and lost a lot of its structure, so he's been having meltdowns left and right.  I'm trying to help him work through this but with little success.  Fortunately, his summer school starts tomorrow so hopefully having some more structure back in his day will help him out.  He's a lot more accepting of the idea of summer school now so I hope it goes well.

The DK Winter Socks struggle on.  I really need to carve out some knitting time for myself, but work has been off the chain lately...I don't get out until 5pm and home until 6. Then home time is filled up with Dale, and by the time he falls asleep I'm almost out myself.  In a way, I'm looking forward to not working for a while so I can have time to knit more.

You know what I think I need to do?  I should learn Continental knitting.  I hear that it's miles faster than English knitting.  I can't attempt to learn it on a WIP though...so I may have to break down and start a simple project just so I can master the basics.  I tried learning it once but I have a problem getting my left finger to hold the yarn in the right place at the right tension.  I need to find a good reference website or book to learn from.

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog via Ravelry (specifically the "nurses who knit and crochet board") and I was struck by how much we have in common! I have a 4 year old with special needs, my dad was in the Navy (so I'm very familiar with that life) AND I'm in nursing school! Oh, and obviously I knit, too (continental). So...yeah.

    Anyway, I love your blog and I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) Good luck with nursing school--as I'm sure you're finding out it's a heck of a ride! But it's worth it when you graduate.

    ReplyDelete