Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Boredom"

So my mother's latest clinical diagnosis about Dale:  he doesn't have ASD, he is just "bored at school."  I didn't bother to explain yet again that if his problems were just at school then she may just be onto something, but that his issues are 24/7/365 regardless of location.

Or that he can't have problems because he is "so intelligent."  Well, yes, he is intelligent:  autism and stupidity aren't necessarily intertwined.  I didn't bother to explain that one again either.

Or that he's "not so bad."  But he's not "high-functioning" to her because to her that implies mental retardation.  To her, when I say that Dale is high-functioning, I'm essentially calling Dale retarded.  At least here I tried to explain that "high-functioning" is not a statement of IQ but an analysis of how he functions along a continuum.  I also added that's how we evaluate patients at work and that some of my lowest-functioning patients are very intelligent...psychotic and unable to care for themselves, but very intelligent.  I tried explaining to her that his ASD doesn't appear to be severe at this time, and that we are addressing it early to get him the most help possible and set him up for success.

Then I sigh to myself and say that it doesn't really matter what she thinks...just what I and Dale's dad think.  This is a losing battle...a losing, frustrating battle.  I just need to accept that no matter what, my mother will continue to be in denial about the ASD.

Work was rough last week...very busy.  A few patients had psychotic breaks but nothing too unmanageable.  We actually kept most of them on our unit without having to transfer them to more intensive care units, which says a lot about my staff's skill.  My new grad is also rising to the challenge...I think she may just be OK after I go.

I'm putting out another pair of baby socks for my coworker.  I found another skein of Felici Sport in girly  colors and decided to do something different.  I also found my digital camera so there will be pictures coming later.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's frustrating! I get that from my in-laws. They try to tell me his behavior is "normal" and have tried on numerous occasions to get me to pull him from his preschool for special needs kids. At least they're my in-laws, though. I think it would be much more frustrating to get that from your own mother!! I'm sorry she's not more supportive.
    What do you attribute the psychotic breaks to? Do they always happen like that, sort of in a domino pattern?
    Looking forward to the sock pictures. I have been working on the same pair of socks this entire (sucktastic) semester.

    ReplyDelete