Saturday, November 26, 2011

FO: Grave Digger Socks, and new cast-ons

I decided that Grave Digger was perfect as an ankle-length sock, so here they are:
The photo does not do the colorway justice.
I went down to the small US 1 needles (2.25) with the heel done in US 0 (2.0).  Let's see how well these wear!

I was going to immediately roll into casting on Sock 15.0...but decided that I need to spend some time away from the socks and work on some of my other projects.  Also, Drunken Bees (Sock 11.0) has been waiting patiently for me to work on them.

So, some new cast-ons...as you know, I'm going to be an aunt again.  The first baby (and my sister and brother-in-law) loved the burp cloths I made, so I started a set for the new sprog.  They think it's another boy but are uncertain, so I went with green and rainbow for this one:
Good old Mason-Dixon Genius Baby Burp Cloth.  Once I get the starting row down I don't need the pattern at all!
Then the shawls...as you also know, my mother covets my Pi Are Square Shawl.  So I shopped the stash for that Moda Dea Washable Wool I mentioned, and cast it on last night:

Moda Dea Washable Wool has to be one of the best yarns on the face of this earth, and I have no idea why they discontinued it.  It's soft, the hand is beautiful, it washes well, the colors have a beautiful sheen to them...I will admit, I'm half-tempted to keep the Coffee for myself and make hers in one of my other colors, or wait for that Sage Green that I ordered from a fellow Raveler to arrive and use that.  But I don't have enough of the other colors for a shawl--I may even be pushing it with this one.  And I had figured on the Sage Green for another monster Pi Are Square shawl for myself. 

Yes, I'm a selfish knitter and proud of it.

Speaking of selfish knitting, I cast on my second attempt at a regular Pi shawl.  I figure that as I'm now older and wiser as far as shawl-making goes, as well as far more patient, I think this Pi has a better shot at success.  I actually ordered this yarn many years ago specifically for a Pi shawl, and it's nice to see that I'm actually using the yarn as I intended to:
Knit Picks Palette in Garnet Heather, size 8 needles.
I was surfing the other Pi shawls on Ravelry and was amazed at how beautiful some of them are:  the lace patterns take my breath away.  And I know that a lot of those lace patterns are not that hard--they just need patience and concentration.  I felt bad about not wanting to lace this one up after all, especially since I didn't see a single plain Pi shawl up there.  It made my planned shawl seem kind of lame.  

Then, I looked at the key chain that my friend and knitting pal Amy made me:  it says WWEZD?  You know that means, "What would Elizabeth Zimmermann do?"  She would make this shawl exactly how she wanted it to make herself happy.  So I decided that this was MY shawl and it was going to be designed as I wanted it, not for making a show on Ravelry or for anyone else else.   Plain stockinette is what I want, and plain stockinette is what I shall make!  

Perhaps I'll lace up the border...or maybe not.  We'll see when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment