Friday, November 11, 2011

FO: Pi Are Square Shawl

After more than 2 1/2 years, the Pi Are Square Shawl has finally been completed!  I finished the border last night; I was debating about having the cream border go up and around as well but decided not to.   The ombre effect is accidental:  I had run out of one dye lot and had no hope of matching it (I bought the yarn in 2008!).  So I had to substitute another dye lot and hope for the best.

It's a fantastic shawl that is a cross between a cape and a wearable blanket:



I went with 4 increase sections.  I threw in several short rows in that 4th section to accommodate my hips and rear.

I wore it last night and fell in love.  It's a delicious wrap and feels so snuggly!

I knew that after 2+ years, it needed a good cleaning, so I attempted to wash/block it today.  I threw it into a tub with some Eucalan and let it soak.  OK, no problem.  I (nervously) spun most of the water out in the front-loading washer.  OK, still no problem...and no felting, thank God!  I went to lay it flat on the bed to block...and realized how much it can stretch when it wants to!  I tried my best to lay it out flat but my queen-size bed wasn't big enough.  So I had to settle for folding it in half and letting it dry under the ceiling fan.  I'll flip it in a couple of hours.



It was a lot of work creating this shawl and I'm glad it's over and done with...and yet I find myself with the irresistible impulse to cast on the next one ASAP.  I have a shawl kit that was a going-away gift from a close friend, or I could do another Pi Are Square, or maybe even just a Pi...decisions, decisions.

In other news, I have a job offer for outpatient psych per-diem.  I accepted it, so now I have to get through the running of the gauntlet--reference checks, drug test, background check--before they make it official.  I'm actually most worried about the reference checks.  One came through with no problem.  Another left my old job so the hospital couldn't reach her...but I was able to track her down and she said she'd call.  I left a message for the third reference asking him to call.  In the meanwhile I faxed all of the reference letters I had to the hospital, just in case.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment