Thursday, February 2, 2012

January socks are finished!

January's socks are done! I finished them on January 30th. I decided to stop at ankle length because I always envisioned this yarn in an ankle-length sock.

I love these socks. I incorporated negative ease into the measurements and cast on 64 instead of my usual 72. The ribbing on the instep is fantastic--it gives the sock a great fit without being too tight. Where there is a small concern is at the heel: 64 stitches in a short-row heel stretches a little too much across the heel. That area will wear fast. But I'm not sure how I could address it in a future sock. Perhaps a smaller needle size would help...but I'm worried that with the negative ease, a smaller needle size might make the heel fit too tight. I will have to ask the sock gurus on the Yahoo groups for advice.

Hmm, pastel goodness...the yarn really looks a hell of a lot better as fabric as it did as a skein.

I really like the Stansfield patterns. I've cast on the next sock (March; remember that February is in progress) in the 12 Socks in 2012 Challenge, and I am using Stansfield 16. This will be the third sock in a row with a Stansfield pattern.

Those socks busted another 459 yards of stash to make the total busted for January 1,514 yards. February has started off very well in the stash-busting department, as I sold two of the Lorna's Laces that I had up for sale. It was 4 skeins for a total of 1,740 yards. In one day I more than doubled my busted stash! So now this puts me at 3,254 yards of stash busted, which equals 1.84 miles. Plus I made a little bit of cash from the sale, just enough to support a mini-shopping spree at Amazon.

Here, another picture of the January sock love...if you look closely at the heel you can see the stretching.

I started school--again--in what seems like a never-ending pursuit of my BSN. The class isn't hard but it's definitely not fluff either: I have to work for my kibble. I've decided to ease off of myself and not stress if I don't get an A. Don't get me wrong: I would really like to continue maintaining a high GPA. But I'm also at the point where it doesn't matter as much as it used to. I graduated with honors already, I've had a 4.0 for a long time, I'll never have a 4.0 again (unless this program will start my grades over from scratch), and I am already a RN. I don't need to make myself any more stressed than I am.

Work is going good. I've been orienting on other units so I can pick up a variety of shifts. I'm not working full-time, which is fine for now. I do want to get more hours than I am getting though. I've also been working out at the local gym and getting serious about the diet. I've lost 8 lbs since Christmas. I don't think one could notice it--I definitely don't when I look at myself in the mirror--but some of my clothing is fitting a bit better.

Dale is adjusting nicely to his new program. He still has his moments but overall he's progressing. Our new challenge with him is getting him to read. He knows the phonics and the letters, but getting him to sit still and focus on reading is the hard part. He gets frustrated and gives up easily. We want to encourage him; at the same time we don't want to make the reading experience a miserable one for him. So it's quite a balance we have to strike.

1 comment:

  1. I love the colors in the socks. Ankle length would drive me crazy. All the best in your studies--I earned myself 60 credits (2 years) after the age of 49--to raise my pay and so my 5-year's highest average for pension would be increased to make up for years off while raising the young ones. I took almost all French, and challenged some German credits after I took all the available French courses. It was hard, but worth it.
    Wishing you all the patience and understanding you need in the reading endeavors with your son. I was always amazed when struggling kids couldn't read the prescribed level books, yet give them a disosaur book or a robot book way beyond their level, and they can figure out all kinds of words. (retired teacher).

    ReplyDelete