Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hats and frogs

I decided to frog a couple of projects:  Grasshopper's Pi Are Square shawl and my 2012 Birthday Sock.

The shawl was frogged because I honestly did not wish to invest the time and yarn into knitting it, at least not right now.  In addition, my mother has always been a little lukewarm about my knitting, and over the years I've learned that it's not worth knitting for those who don't truly appreciate it.

Though she recently asked for a hat, and I obliged with a watch cap.  Let me see what she does with that first before I go about making anything larger than that.

Grasshopper's Watch Cap.  Brioche stitch, double-strand of Moda Dea Washable Wool in Coffee, size 11 needles.
I've actually been on a hat kick lately.  I started with making one for myself.  Every winter we visit a town in the California mountains to enjoy actual cold weather.  I took Elizabeth Zimmermann's trusty old watch cap pattern, modified it slightly so I didn't have to hold the yarn double, and had at it.  This is what emerged...I called it the Julian Hat:

Julian Hat.  Brioche stitch, single strand of Lion Brand Amazing in Vineyard, size 8 needles.
I went with 72 stitches as opposed to 36.  The hat is nice but the fit is a little too loose, almost like it's stretched out.  I also don't like how the top came out...I was hoping for something flatter instead of bunched.  I'm planning to make another one for myself in the same yarn but a different colorway.  I'm gong to step down to a size 7 needle as well as decrease a few stitches on the cast-on.  

Then I wanted to make one for my nephew.  My sister and her boys actually appreciate my craft.  To date they have received a bedspread, a lap blanket, baby gear, and two baby blankets, all of which are used and loved.  My elder nephew loves yellow--the brighter, the better--and was going to Minnesota for the holidays, so a yellow hat was a natural choice.  So back to the brioche watch cap pattern we go!

Beck's Watch Cap.  Brioche stitch, single-stranded Knit Picks Brava Sport, size 6 needles.
I jacked the top part from another Elizabeth Zimmermann hat:  the decrease is flatter and not bunched, and it looks great when the hat is on the head.  I'm told that this hat almost never left his head the entire time he was in Minnesota.  Going to cast on my hat next.  

As for frogging the socks...well, I had another pair of socks on the needles that were further along, and I figured I'd work on those.  Also, I wasn't entirely in love with the pattern I had chosen.  So I decided to frog the yarn and regroup.  I'll use that yarn in the future, I'm sure...I'm just not feeling the love for it now.

I'm actually down to 6 WIPs:  the crochet blanket, the charity blanket, the Doctor Who scarf (in swatching stage), Grasshopper's bed socks, that other pair of socks, and the Pi shawl.  It'll be 7 if I cast on that hat...overall, it's still a lot better than usual.

I'm also using Twitter more, especially since I discovered I can use Siri on the iPhone to send tweets for me.  Find me at @quixotic_logic


1 comment:

  1. I always make sure the people for whom I knit appreciate it. If someone doesn't give a damn I don't bother with them. Good for you for using your yarn on things that people will love. :)

    ReplyDelete